jeudi 8 janvier 2009

What a difference a week makes...

.
I've just spoken to a friend in Aix en Provence
and they are
snowed under..!
I don't think I've ever seen snow in Provence even though
I've lived there and been a regular year-round visitor
ever since.
I took the majorority of the photos below of Aix, Bonnieux, Goult,
Cucuron and Lourmarin only this time
last week...
..

Oh, I almost forgot what I was to post about...
.
I was asked by mail by my dear friend, and follower of my blog,
what my New Year's resolutions for 2009 were; so, as
I don't actually make them anymore
(after years of never keeping them, despite my best intentions..!)
I thought the following would pretty much sum up
my feelings about the year ahead,
so, here goes:

."To live content with small means
To seek elegance
rather than luxury
And refinement rather than fashion
To be worthy, not respectable
And wealthy, not rich
To study hard, think quietly,
talk gently, act frankly
To listen to stars and birds,
to babes and sages,
with open heart
To bear all cheerfully, do all bravely,
await occasion, hurry never
In a word,
to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious
grow up through the common
This is to be my symphony"
William Ellery Channing
.
Does anybody out there still make New Year's resolutions..?
More interestingly, what I'd love to know is,
if you do make them, do you actually keep them..?
.

6 commentaires:

High Desert Diva a dit…

I never make them, but Channing's words sum up my feelings.



Beautiful photos...

l'air du temps a dit…

so beautiful what you have shared...

i don't make resolutions anymore, i simply forget always what i've resolved to change:)

i haven't tried, but i would like to and should, is making a list of the things that happened during the year that pleased me greatly...

(i sent you a little note... thanks again for sharing in such a lovely way!)

Callie Grayson a dit…

nope, i don't make them. never have.... But as High Desert Diva remarked, "Channing's wods sum up my feelings"
I feel the same.
beautfiul, post!!
xx callie

ps thanks for the kind words. big hugs to ya!

Jazz a dit…

We're snowed under here too, but for us 25 cm is just another day in Montreal (blehch).

As for resolutions, I only have one, repeated every year: I resolve to make no resolutions.

It's the only one I've actually managed to keep. Ever.

Dutchbaby a dit…

The Channing poem is great inspiration. Thank you for sharing it.

I don't make resolutions, but my friends and I do write down what made us grateful in the past year and what our dreams are for the future year. I believe that when you write down your dreams, they have a much greater chance of coming true.

Anonyme a dit…

Such a beautiful poem!